Thursday, February 26, 2009

Setting a foot on the path

{Deep cleansing breath}
Not sure where to begin on my first blog entry 'cause they say you only get one chance to make a first impression. Bah, what do they know anyway?

I have a hundred topics spinning through the rolodex of my mind, but it just doesn't want to stop on any one topic long enough for my fingers to begin their "keyboard dance". Unforunately, "Spinning the topic wheel" doesn't work in the blog-o-sphere.

Thought about a few good topics:

  • A Tech blog entry where I could talk about my favorite programming language (VFP).

  • Why I hate February.

  • Drop my two Lincolns into the current debate about how social applications such as Twitter might be causing the death of blogs and wikis.

  • In the animal kingdom, do dogs truly have "the life"?
None of these seemed a worthy topic of my first ever blog post. So, maybe I should take advantage of the spinning rolodex and spout some strange stream of conciousness ala Gord Downie but probably only Andrew McNeill and Doug Henning would know who he is and maybe some of the other Northerners might get it, but probably not.

Exercising my procrastination muscles... I read a few blogs to maybe "stoke the fire" of imagination but all that succeeded in doing was pouring a bit of precipitation onto the bonfire of my vanity and shaming me to the point of wondering why should I even write a blog when I really don't have anything to say.

Then, I hit upon it...

As none of you know (well some of you might, but if so, shhhhhh) , I used to have a much different career than I do presently. I still receive monetary compensation for performing this job, but it is more of a hobby these days. I used to spend months at at time riding buses with members of bands in a pastime some call "touring". It had its' good points, and its' bad, it wasn't quite hell, but you definitely could see it from there. Anyhow, last weekend I achieved the dream of many people and reduced my Bacon number to what used to be the lonliest number of one!!! That's right. I was the monitor engineer for Kevin Bacon and his brother Michael and the "Bacon Brothers Band".

The show itself was pretty good and for what its' worth, Kevin is as good of a musician as he is an actor (take that however you want), he plays 6 and 12 string guitars, harmonica, Djembe and bohdran and sings pretty well. Brother Michael plays acoustic and electric guitar, cello, and sings. Backed by another guitar player (Ira), bass (Paul), keys (Joe) and Frank on drums they were fairly polished as a band, and heck, the kids (audience) seemed to like them. Who am I to argue?
Michael
Consequentially, any of you who work with me (or just want to say you have, go on, you can do it) can now reduce your Bacon numbers to two!! If you don't have a clue as to what a Bacon number is, you can visit here for more information. You can also consult the Oracle of Bacon to compute Bacon numbers for other actors.

Kevin

Well, for not having much to say, it appears as though I have made it to the bottom of my first blog post. Hope you enjoyed it.

Peace,
Marc

5 comments:

  1. My friends will never believe that I (yes me) have a Bacon number of 2. Now I can prove it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job - I never get to hear these stories unless there's beer involved ... uh ... that's not going to stop, is it? :-) I'm trying to figure out how to incorporate my new Bacon number into my only profile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just stumbled across this and believe it or not, the drummer for that band is actually a former FoxPro developer named Marshal Rosenberg.

    ReplyDelete